Thursday, March 30, 2006

How do you remember someone?

This past Saturday was the 4 year anniversary of my friend Burt dying. On Sunday Kathleen, Keri and I went out to the cemetary to visit his grave for the first time since the funeral. On Friday night while planning/deciding to go visit his grave sight we got on the discussion of how you remember someone after they are gone.

I don't believe there is one clear answer that will work for everyone. Instead we discussed the ways that we do. Kathleen needed to go visit the grave. Also at least a few times a year she has a movie that reminds her of Burt and she enjoys that with just him and her. I started thinking about times that I remember his memory. I do not have exact situations that I do in ritual format to help myself remember. Instead I find at random times or during random events that either remind me of Burt or things he did or even times where I just think Burt would love it if he were here right now.

I believe that you can never truly forget people that had a significant impact in your life. Obviously everyone will remember them in their own special way. You live on through the memories of others. So keep that in mind when you live your life. Make every memory a happy one.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I guess Mark hasn't found your blog yet?

11:28 PM  
Blogger mark said...

It took Dave linking to it in a comment in my blog for me to get here. But once I share its existence with the world, as they say in Field of Dreams, "People will come."

I didn't know Burt that well, but remember him from time to time also..

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home