Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Code from the town of Vinci


Went and saw the Davinci Code last night. If you don't get the

Title reference Davinci actually means from the town of Vinci. So it was not really Leonardo's original surname. I will have to saw regardless of all the hype and poor reviews, I enjoyed the movie. By far its no contest to the book(though I read it about 3 years ago now). However; its an entertaining film. If you have not read the book and went to see it I would love to hear what you have to say since I think you might be a little lost. My biggest problem was that I kept thinking things were going to happen but then realize they were from "Angels and Demons", one of Dan Browns others books(sort of pre-quel to Davinci). I preferred Angels and Demons as a story in general. It doesn't have as crazy of a contreversy surrounding it but as a story I find it much better.

I did some reading about Leonardo about a year or so ago for a class in school. I would have to say that if I could go back in time and meet anyone he actually might be my number 1 choice. The man was gifted in almost all aspects of life. He wrote numerous manuscripts and drawings that until were way ahead of his time. He had produces drawing for both the submarine and hellicopter which were not even invented till the last century. He was also a master painter among about 30 other things. He was the model Renascience man.

Think about the concept know. You may change your career once or even a few times in your life. You might even go back to school to accomplish this. However Leonardo, was doing all these things at once. Quite an amazing man.

Spoiller Alert: If you do not want to know anything about the movie or book then stop reading.

I know there is a huge amount of controversy surrounding this thing. At one point during the movie though Robert Langdon mentions that "why does it take away from Jesus being the son of God if he was married and had kids." I am not saying that I believe any of it either way but it the point does kind of make sense. Is the issue that it makes him seem to human so that he could be capable of flaws or sin? I know there were probably around 100 gospels written and only 4 were choosen to be considered valid. In High school, I remember talk of the Gospel of Thomas which pointed to much to Jesus' divinty and not enough to his humanity. Its the whole dicotomy of human/divine that everyone basis their belief on. So once again why does that change if he got married? I know there is never going to be a right or wrong answer on this topic or anything involving religion but its fun to debate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hutch said...

Dave, you are the ultimate Renaissance man!

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home