Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Not what I was hoping for.


This quarter in school I took my first computer related class. The class focussed on the way computers and routers talk across a network. It was really interesting and I really liked the class. After the first day of class I decided that I want to change the school that I was in. Right now the program I am in is called the School of New Learning. The school is geared towards older people who have been working. You can actually write papers to get credit for work experience and other strange things. Its a great program and has gotten rave review for adults. However I feel like I dont really learn a whole lot in the classes. This past quarter they offered a class on yoga. I could have gotten credit for basically taking a yoga class. I guess for some reason I want some more then that. So this computer class really sparked my interest. I looked into the School of Computer Science and technolgy(CTI) at Depaul. They have a program for a Bachelors in Science in Network Technologies. I looked over the curriculum and loved it. I wanted to meet with an advisor and discuss my options. Finally today I was able to go meet with them and the news I heard was not good. I was hoping that all my classes I have taken in the last year would count as liberal studies classes. However the bad news is they do not. Now the classes can count towards electives and there are 9 open electives. Though there are still 37 other classes I would have to take. Based on taking 2 classes a quarter it would take me more then 4 more years to complete. So now I am a little confused as to what I want to do. I think I am still going to transfer but I want to put some more thoughts in and weigh the options. I guess I got a long road ahead of me. I will keep you posted on what my final decision.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even more of a reason for you to take some time off and finish! :)

Just start saving that money!

1:26 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Another option might be to keep taking classes two at a time for a little while (a year?), then take a leave of absence from work for a semester to knock out a lot of credits (and maybe finish?).

Just a thought. Whatever you decide, you know we're behind you.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Hutch said...

Dude, you can take yoga for credit. Go for it! I have credits for both social dance and wine tasting on my transcripts....

Just stay at it, Dave. I still have four more semesters of pre-reqs before eight full-time semesters for the PT degree. Don't think about the time. Think about what you want to do and it will be here before you realize it.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Captain Word Sleuth said...

I really like the fact though that work pays for my entire school. I could come out in 4 years with still being paid and not having any loans. ITs a hard concept to want to then spend my own money on it.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home