Monday, June 05, 2006

Weekend in Review-Membership has its Privileges

Alternate Blog title: Whoever said Cleveland rocks never met Summer. Summer rocks.

The weekend started by Keri and I checking out a restaurant called Trattoria 10. They have an italian buffet for only $12. Its probably one of the best deals in the downtown area. The restaraunt is very nice and the food was pretty good. After that we ventured over the Lasalle Bank Theater for our third installment in the Broadway series. It was a one person show called Golda's Balcony. Golda was played by Valerie Harper. I have to admit that going into this play I was not looking forward to it. First I had no idea what it was about. Second, when I found out it was a one person show that did not bode well. However, it turned out to be suprisely good. Not great but still pretty good. It was based on the life of Golda Meir. I had never heard of her before. She was one of the key people in founding the nation of Isreal and later became prime minister. She was in charge of building Isreals first Nuclear Reactor which was done without the US knowledge. She is viewed as one of the strongest women in history. Afterwards I kind of felt bad never having heard of her before. After the play Keri and I rented "Mrs. Henderson presents" and fell asleep about 30 minutes in.

Saturday we got up and rode our bicycles down to the Musuem of Science and Industry. They have an exhibit on Leonardo Da Vinci, which Wourms and Gwen had gone to see the weekend before so it sparked my interest. Once we got there we found out that a Family membership to the Musuem was $90. That includes us and a guest any time we want to go plus all of the Omnimax movies that they have. So if anyone ever wants to go with us let us know. Special exhibits are still extra but we do get a discount along with food and gift shops. Plus we can get advanced tickets to exhibits before the public. We took advantage that day and went to both currently running Omnimax movies. One was about Ancient Greece and the other was called Wired to Win. Wired was about the brain chemistry associated with the desire to win and focus on riders in the Tour De France. The main focus of the film was on Baden Cooke who took the green jersey in the Tour. The green jersey is for the best Sprinter in the race. Until this film I only knew of the Yellow jersey but found out that other cyclist are also competing for one of four jerseys, green and yellow being two. I am sure all you tour fans will already know that though.
Keri and I discussed trying to get a group trip together for summer of 2008 together and going and watching the Tour.
The Da Vinci exhibit was interesting. I was unaware that he made most of his money off military inventions. The funny part is that he would create an offensive based weapon and then create a defense weapon to combat the offense one. I am not sure if he did this to make more money or sell to both side. I would like to believe its because he did not like the idea of violence or creating these types of devices and like to have ways to nullify them.

On our bike ride back we stopped at an Irish pub called Grady O'Malleys in the south loop. Suprisely the have the best Buffalo chicken sandwhich that I have ever had. Who know the irish could make buffalo taste so good.

Sunday was Laundry day. I did three loads while Keri went to Brunch with her roomates. Afterwards we went to costco. Later we walked down to Lincoln Square and met up with Steve, Chris, Janet and some of their friends at Mayfest. Hung out there for a bit and then headed over to the Davis theater to see the Break-up. For those who do not know, the movie was written by a fellow Loyola Alumni and I actually knew him when I was younger. My brother and Jay Lavender were friends until he moved to Evanston. We bought our first Skateboards while visiting him in Evanston. I enjoyed the film. It was funny overall. It had been built up a lot so I had somewhat high hopes. Overall though I would recommend it.

Tonight and Tomorrow I am covering third shift at work. So I have time to sit write long blogs like this one.

7 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

Wow! Nice long post!

I had no idea Jay Lavender wrote that movie. I guess I might have to check it out. The previews looked good but the critics panned it.

D and I saw DaVinci Code yesterday, and I really liked it. I think I'll read the book eventually now. Don't konw why the critics hated it so much though.

8:25 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Actually, I chatted with Scott about this briefly, who knew Jay also. He found this article.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Captain Word Sleuth said...

Read Angels and Demons first and then Da Vinci.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Captain Word Sleuth said...

also there was an article on Jay in Chicago Magazine last month.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left this long comment for you.. and I was DENIED..

now I don't feel like typing it all again! besides its 5pm... I'm outty!

Sounds like you had a fun weekend though!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Hutch said...

So you spent most of the weekend inside watching movies and plays and doing laundry?!?!?

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like he did better on his bike than you did over the weekend Hutch!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home